Reflection, Reparation, Repentation, Rejuvination, and Recreation

Reflection, Reparation, Repentation, Rejuvination, and Recreation
Having fun on the Midnight Beast

Monday, March 7, 2016

Single Speed

Those who are close know that I have been on a singlespeed bent lately. I converted my Redline D460 to SS last year. Didn't take it all that seriously just riding around the local smooth flat loops. Just made me sluggishly topping out my speed  and/ or silly spinning 140rpm's on the local roads in between.  A few months ago, I tried riding the Blue Hills. Never thought I would be able to with one gear.
So, this (non-) winter I stuck with it quite a bit. I had been switching out pedals and shoes so much with the rollercoaster temps that I finally just left the flats on the RL for the sub-45F days, and spd's on the Tranny for those tasty springlike days....
It has not been easy, even with the current 32x21 gearing. Singlespeed nerds will tell me that I should ramp up the gear ratio because I can just 'tractor' over everything even easier and go faster. I think what they're saying is that I'm going too slow....
Anyways, I rode the SS BH quite bit this (non-)winter, and enjoyed it very much. There are some bigger hills in the BH but not many that are too steep for me to climb, gears or no gears. And even though it's mostly doubletrack and non-technical, it's still a challenge going up and FUN going down and there are long enough loops that I can get a great workout in 1.5 hours, or 2-3 hours if I start at home.... I have a great time at Wompy too with the non-hills and lots of twisty singletrack. Even Prospect Hill is fine, especially ambling up the backside over the stonewalls and such. And somehow I feel even better after a good SS ride...
That said, I recently rode Adams Farm 5 miles one sunday morning. Then back at the parking lot,  we joined another group for 8.5 more miles. Adams' 70 acres or so is CHOCK FULL of tight twisty singletrack. It's also a lot like the Cape with lots of little steep uphill grinds. This is where I need some help. Walked a bunch that day. Could be my late night kitchen hours and a 60 hour work week. Could be I'm getting old. Could be my gearing. Could be my diet. The latter I do usually keep a handle on, eating good before and after the ride. The three former 'excuses' may be more likely, with the first two probably more directly affecting how I feel going up hills, which lower gearing may not cure. I know I could use more sleep, but theres something about getting up early on a Sunday morning and forcing my friends to do the same that brings me joy in an S&M type way. Maybe its the tight spandex. Maybe it's the chains and rubber.
Truthfully, it's just getting 'out there' with the roosters and my fellow riders and the ensuing hootin' and hollerin' that brings the most joy. And the fact that I get home late morning, and have the rest of Sunday to spend with my boy.
But getting to bed at 2 am Sunday after a 12 hour non-stop grill shift and waking up at 6 to ride isn't easy. Usually worth it though.
My reason for all this writing was to justify the fact that I don't really want to buy more parts to switch gears. So I'll keep that 32x21 for now, switch it up with the geared Transition for even more fun. And try to find a way to work less and sleep more.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment