Reflection, Reparation, Repentation, Rejuvination, and Recreation

Reflection, Reparation, Repentation, Rejuvination, and Recreation
Having fun on the Midnight Beast

Sunday, December 29, 2013

Spuds to Flats

You know it's winter when I start  sayin stuff about my cold toes, chilblains, etc... And all the remedies that I've tried--toe warmers, Frito bags over the sock, duct tape the air vents, SealSkin neoprene socks, ski socks, winter boots with neoprene booties over, capsacin roll-on, anti-perspirant spray....I've pretty much tried everything for the sake of staying in my SPD pedals all winter while maintaining some warmth in the toes area. The damage has been done, I don't have enough circulation in my feet! In fact, I usually take off January and February so that I can hike in warm boots and still get some workout.

So, I had an idea! How about riding with my winter hiking boots with flat pedals? I've heard that said many times, and heard how cool it is to ride bikes with flat pedals like we used to as kids on bikes....I have heard that it can make you a better rider, riding with flats any time of year. I've heard that flat pedals don't create any undue stress on the knee and ankle joints, and that you don't have to remember to clip out. I've heard that it's easier to ride and commit to tech stuff. I have also heard that pedalling flats may increase the circulation in my feet, which may help with the chronic foot pain that I experience every day and night.

I do remember the few times that I tried riding with flat pedals, it felt weird and I couldn't loft the rear wheel as I could with SPD's. I do remember a few good whacks to the shin from flat pedals... I do remember having a harder time going uphill.......

Sooo, I started with some plastic pedals off one of the kid's bikes. Some of my memories came right back to me, but most notably my new inability to get the rear wheel off the ground and launch small obstacles, which is some of what I love my bike for. My TransAm LOVES to launch off of everything, but I keep it to smaller rocks, logs, stumps, etc. I also enjoy 'hopping' over (small) logs, beer cans, curbs, whatever is in the way. I CAN'T GET IT UP over these things....but I will stay positive, and say, YET. The last article I read somewhere was a guy that said it took him 6 MONTHS to be able to do everything he wanted to do on flat pedals that he previously did while clipped in. So I have faith that IT will COME to me eventually. Patience, kid.

My first ride with flats was on Christmas eve day, a cold, crisp sunny day.
My regular 'hiking' boots, flat black Timberland Pro insulated high top boot. Woolie Boolies socks and toe warmers. After the initial warmup time, when my toes start to get cold (doesn't make any sense), they were still warm and toasty. And so it has gone for the few rides since then.
As far as pedalling goes, usually when you pedal a bike it goes forward. No problem there. And my feet feel glued to the pedals for the most part, probably just force of habit, my knees staying in the position they like.
I haven't whacked a shin yet, even while trying to remain my playful self, hitting EVERY little ROCK I see. I HAVE glanced these big-ass pedals off a rock or two, but it's weird, if I had done that with clipless, it would have this jarring effect on my pedal stroke, but with these, F-IT, just keep pedalling.......One thing I'm not looking fwd: to is the shin-scarring meat grinder-type metal pedal with traction pins that I know I'll have to graduate to, eventually.

Now comes the really weird part, I DON'T HAVE TO CLIP OUT! Just taking a foot off the pedal and planting it on the ground seems fairly natural!

Speed--I'm suffering here, rides where I averaged more, I'm averaging less, and my legs feel heavy, especially beginning of a ride. MY THEORY is that my legs are accustomed to a certain position and pedalling style, and these changes 'wake up'  certain muscles, and in time will build new muscle, blood vessels and capillaries and that these internal plumbing changes will take time to develop. Along with these changes COULD result in more blood flow to my head, and who knows what may come of THAT! THINK of the ideas that may come!
STAY TUNED FOR UPDATES!!

No comments:

Post a Comment