Reflection, Reparation, Repentation, Rejuvination, and Recreation

Reflection, Reparation, Repentation, Rejuvination, and Recreation
Having fun on the Midnight Beast

Friday, February 18, 2011

60F and on the bike

Yeah yesterday was up there--45 when I started, almost 60 when I got back an 1.5 hours and 14 miles later. The redline has been up on the stand all winter, since I replaced the chain. I had also removed the 'chainstay protector' -- electrical tape--and still hadn't gotten around to replacing it, or stripping down and cleaning the bike as I always intend to do each winter. But I took it down anyways and rolled it past the remaining ice and snow out to the driveway. First few hundred yards confirmed my suspicions--that the new chain wouldn't work with the old cassette and chainring. So I about-faced and put it back up on the stand to struggle with the SRAM 'powerlink'. They should rename that 'painlink'. I couldn't undo it! There's a certain zen or mojo or flick-of-the-wrist that popping this link requires, but I guess I didn't have it that day. I've done it plenty of times. Add to that I was in a hurry to go enjoy the sunshine and a slight caffeine overload and all I got was pissed! So I broke the chain the right way (which I will always do from now on, never really understood the reason for the 'puta-link' ) and put the old one back on, and was happily on my way down the muddy dirt road again. Oops I forgot my wallet! back around the block.
Finally motoring down the road to the beach, I tried the bike-path, but it was still too sketchy and aggravating so I stuck to the road, turning up FB Parkway up towards the 'Hills. By the time I got to the gate, a half-hour had passed....wondering why it took so long and I'm so tired......I decided that yeah I'm using slightly different muscles than what the road bike/trainer and snowshoing require. Plus I only slept three hours last night. I pushed on to the top of Chick Hill, and blasted back down home. I did try a beaten snow-path, but it was still too deep and smushy with the higher temps. I was happy with just riding outside again.....
Today I snow-hiked St Moritz and some of the green loop/skyline with Bob. Foregoing the snowshoes for micros was a bad decision. Aggravation in the form of postholing and not really knowing what each step would bring, but we did 1.5 hours anyways, it was a good workout, and pleasant in the again above 50F temps....

No comments:

Post a Comment